Home / Community / #Allergy: Curry house owner charged with manslaughter after nut allergy death

#Allergy: Curry house owner charged with manslaughter after nut allergy death

The owner of an Indian restaurant has been charged with manslaughter after a customer with a severe peanut allergy died after eating a curry at the restaurant.

Paul Wilson, a 38-year-old pub owner, suffered an anaphylactic shock after eating at the Indian Garden restaurant in Easingwold, Yorkshire.

The restaurant’s owner, Mohammed Khalique Zaman, has been charged with manslaughter by gross negligence in the first case of its kind in the UK.

According to reports, father-of-one Mr Wilson bought the curry in January last year before collapsing and dying in bathroom at his pub.

His death came months before the introduction of new laws demanding that all food businesses provide allergy information on unpackaged foods like takeaways. 

Zaman, 52, from York, has also been charged with perverting the course justice and an employment offence under the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006.

He has run takeaways and restaurants across North Yorkshire for decades and his Jaipur Spice chain won best in the country in 2012 and 2013 at the Bangladeshi Catering Association Awards.

Comments

comments

Check Also

Trump White House finally admits killing of Indian engineer was hate crime.

Sunayana Dumala, the wife of the slain Indian engineer Srinivas Kuchibhotla, is consoled by relatives …